71.5 F
Tyndall AFB
Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Military Dependent ID Card Renewal/Replacement


Note: This is a RENEWAL process only and is not for initial ID issuance.

  • Step 1. Fill out the Application to Renew form
  • Step 2. For Dependent ID Cards ONLY
    • Sponsor Certifies the DD Form 1172 online:
      • Have the sponsor (CAC holder(s) can create a DS log-on) access the DMDC website to certify the DD Form 1172 for the dependent who is renewing his/her ID card via the following link: DMDC website
      • Once logged into DMDC, click “Replace ID Card” under appropriate Family Member. The system will notify you once the DD Form 1172 has been successfully submitted.

NOTE: Reference Supporting ID Requirements for additional guidance on supporting identifications and pictures.

The ID card will be ready for pick up within 5 calendar days. Must bring the original two supporting identifications used to create the ID card with you upon pick-up. The sponsor is not required to be present for Dependent ID card pick-up. Please ensure that you provide correct information on the Dependent Renewal Application (Ex. DoD ID/SSN) for fast service. Newly Widowed/DAV/Initial Enrollment/ID for age 21 does not fall under the ID card renewal process. Member must visit the MPF for service.

Lost/Stolen CAC

For lost/stolen CAC, you will need one of the following items in addition to 2 forms of unexpired identification, one of which must be a photo:

  • Police report
  • A statement or document as provided by the Service or agency (e.g., counseling document) or
  • Letter or memorandum from the activity’s security manager, the individual’s supervisor, or the First Sergeant

Add/Remove Dependents

Newborn/Children/Stepchild: Sponsor must present the following documents: Birth Certificate/Certificate of Live Birth authenticated by the attending physician & Social Security Card. If a stepchild is being added, the marriage certificate is also needed.

Children Born Out Of Wedlock Female Sponsors: Provide child’s Birth Certificate and. Social Security Card.

Male Sponsors: Child’s Official Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. If you are not on the birth certificate, present legal documents showing paternity was judicially determined.

Adoption of Children Pre-Adopted State: Sponsor will need a Placement Letter for Adoption from the court in process, Birth Certificate and Social Security Card.

Final Adoption: Court Order, Birth Certificate and Social Security Card.

Incapacitated Child: Initial ID cards must be completed in the Customer Support Office. For renewal of any sort, you must accomplish a DFAS re-determination and complete the DD Form 137-5 for submission to DFAS. Once approved, bring in the DFAS letter of approval, dependent military ID card, and a State/Government issued ID.

Dependent Ward: An initial Dependent Ward application must be accomplished. Complete the DD Form 137-7 and submit the completed form and all required documentation to DFAS. DFAS will mail a Letter of Approval to the sponsor.  Once received, bring the DFAS Letter of Approval, Court Document placing the child in member’s household, Birth Certificate, and Social Security Card. (Applications can be picked up from Customer Support).

Name Change for Children: Provide official original/certified legal documentation (Court Order, Birth Certificate or Social Security Card).

Full Time College Students: Students 21 years of age must bring a letter (on college letterhead) from the school registrar’s office stating full-time status and anticipated graduation date from an accredited college/university in pursuit of an Associate Degree or higher, or a printout from the National Student Clearing House containing the same information.

Parent/Parent In-law Enrollment: An initial Parent/Parent In-Law application will need to be completed and can be picked up from Customer Support. Completed application is then submitted to DFAS for final consideration. Once approved, DFAS will mail a Letter of Approval to the sponsor.  Once received, provide the DFAS Letter of Approval, Sponsor Birth Certificate, Parent Birth Certificate, Parent’s Photo ID, and Social Security Card to Customer Support for DEERS enrollment.  For renewal of any sort, you will need to re-accomplish the DFAS application process, obtain another Letter of Approval in order to be issued a new Dependent ID card.


Both the sponsor and spouse must be present, except as exempted below.

Enrollment of New Spouse: When adding a spouse to DEERS, the sponsor must be present, or the new spouse must have a valid Power of Attorney. The following documents are also required:
2 unexpired forms of ID (No Badges), one of which must be a state/government issued photo ID, Original/Certified copy of marriage certificate that reflects the file number, Birth Certificate, and Social Security Card.

Dual Mil-to-Mil: If you are an Active Duty Member and have married another Active Duty member, provide the Original/Certified Marriage Certificate, Social Security Card, and a State/Government issued photo ID. Both military members must be present; visit the nearest DMDC location on the next duty day following your marriage.

Foreign National Spouse: If your spouse is a foreign national, provide the original Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, Driver License, and Social Security Card (if applicable).

Name Change for Spouse: Spouse must provide at least one identity source document reflecting the name change. (sponsor does not need to be present)

Divorce: Please provide your Original State Filed Divorce Decree that reflects the State File number OR Certified State Filed Copy to update DEERS. (former spouse does not need to be present)

Civilian Employees

Retirees must present SF Form 50 and 2 unexpired forms of ID (No Badges), one of which must be a state/government issued photo ID.

Civilian Employees (Overseas Position) must provide DD Form 2365, SF Form 50 annotating that person is assigned to an Overseas Emergency Essential Position, and 2 unexpired forms of ID (No Badges), one of which must be a state/government issued photo ID.

CAC for Contractors

Ensure your Trusted Agent (TA) has loaded you in the CVS system. Contractors must present 2 unexpired forms of ID, one of which must be a state/government issued photo ID. If going overseas, please ensure you have your current (within 30 days) Letter of Authorization (LOA).

**If this is your first CAC, please ensure you have arrangements to access the installation. Any documents must be Original/Certified

Designated Agent Letters

  1. The Designated Agent letter is issued to an authorized person designated by the military sponsor (or surviving spouse). This letter allows that person access to the Base Exchange and/or commissary for shopping on behalf of the sponsor.
  1. This letter is only valid for one year at a time. Only one person may be designated per household. Authorization cannot be granted solely for customer convenience – an extreme hardship must exist and be validated. Dual military couples (active duty) with children in the household and single parents (active duty) with children in the household may also have a designated agent when a family care plan is in effect.
  1. Base Exchange and Commissary personnel have the right to limit purchases made in their store. Any suspicion that someone is attempting to make purchases in a fraudulent manner (for other than the sponsor and their household) may result in confiscation of the Designated Agent letter and suspension of privileges.
  1. The following current supporting documentation must be presented each time a letter is issued and/or renewed: Authorized patron’s presence or valid Power of Attorney: If the authorized patron is unable to be present at the time of issuance, the person obtaining the agent card must have a current Power of Attorney authorizing them to conduct actions pertaining to the military on behalf of the sponsor or surviving dependent.
    • Authorized patron’s ID card: The authorized patron is the military or retired military sponsor or the surviving dependent of the sponsor. The ID card must not be expired.
    • Letter from attending physician: When the sponsor is physically unable to shop for themselves, they must obtain a letter from their doctor stating their incapacitating condition or inability to care for themselves. This letter must be current within the year of obtaining the agent letter. This requirement does not apply to active duty military couples with children or active duty single parents with children.Copy of current Family Care Plan (Active Duty only): Dual military couples or single parents with children must provide this in order to obtain a Designated Agent letter (usually in cases of deployment, unaccompanied PCS or TDY). The designated agent must be someone designated as a caregiver on the family care plan
    • Two unexpired forms of ID (No Badges), one of which must be a state/government issued photo ID.